Zoning Certificates

If you are seeking to find out the zoning of a property or obtain information on the planning controls and restrictions that apply to a property, then you will need to lodge a Section 149 Certificate with Cowra Council.They are called Section 149 Certificates because they are issued by Council pursuant to Section 149 of the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979.

Further information on Section 149 Certificates can be found be exploring the FAQ’s below. 

Zoning Certificate FAQ's

Section 149 Certificates are commonly requested by conyeyancing professionals because they are required to be attached to a Sale Contract when property is being purchased or sold. This is because a Section 149 Certificate will inform a new buyer on relevant planning matters.

There are two types of Section 149 Certificates. The types of information contained in each type of certificate is explained below:

Section 149(2) Certificates

Section 149(2) Certificates are the most commonly sought after certificate.

A summary of the main types of information contained in a Section 149(2) Certificate is contained below:

  •           Names of relevant state, regional and local planning policies that apply to the land.
  •           Zoning of the land including a description of permissible and prohibited land-use activities.
  •           Identification of any development standards affecting the erection of a dwelling-house.
  •           Whether the land contains critical habitat, conservation areas or items of environmental heritage.
  •           Whether complying development is able to be carried out on the land.
  •           Whether the land is located within a mine subsidence district.
  •           Whether the land is subject to road widening or reserved for acquisition.
  •           Whether the land is subject to any hazard risk restrictions.
  •           Whether the land is flood liable and / or bushfire prone.
  •           Whether the land is subject to a property vegetation plan or biobanking agreement.
  •           Whether the land is contaminated.


Section 149(5) Certificates

Section 149(5) Certificates are an additional certificate.

A summary of the information that is contained in a Section 149(5) Certificate is contained below:

  •           Whether any buildings or structures have been approved on the land in previous 2 years.
  •           Whether the land is flood prone.
  •           Whether the land is bushifre prone.
  •           Whether or not local planning rules would allow Council to consider a development application for the erection of a dwelling-house on the land.

There are a number of ways that you can apply for a Section 149 Certificate, including:

  • In person at Cowra Council's Customer Service Centre, 116 Kendal St Cowra, or
  • Download an application form. Fill out the application form and return it to Council with the prescribed fee, or
  • Ask your conveyancing solicitor to lodge the application on your behalf.

  • Section 149(2) Certificates cost $53.00
  • Section 149(5) Certificates cost $80.00

Council has a guarantee of service that all Section 149 Certificates will be processed within 10 working days of reciept of the application. This is subject to the application being made complete with all required information, including the property description (Lot and DP numbers)